Re: Aîon and Chronos

Jonathan Post jvospost3 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 18:28:56 CEST 2007

Drifting away from seqfans primary function as I understand it, but
directly on your topic, as I understand it:

There is profane time, and there is sacred time. According to Eliade,
myths describe a time that is fundamentally different from historical
time (what modern man would consider "normal" time). "In short," says
Eliade, "myths describe … breakthroughs of the sacred (or the
'supernatural') into the World".[7] The mythical age is the time when
the Sacred entered our world, giving it form and meaning: "The
manifestation of the sacred ontologically founds the world".[8] Thus,
the mythical age is sacred time, the only time that has value for
traditional man.

[7] Mircea Eliade, Myth and Reality, pg. 6
[8] Mircea Eliade, The Sacred and the Profane, pg. 21

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_return_(Eliade)