d(m) = d(m+1) = 2n

Leroy Quet q1qq2qqq3qqqq at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 15 02:47:03 CEST 2008

Never mind. It seems quite obvious that there are no more m's or n's.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong:
Let us say that m has 2n divisors. Then there are a number of ways the exponents in the prime-factorization of m, independent of the primes in the prime-factorization, can be written. (Since 2n = product(1 + e_k), where each e_k is an exponent in the prime-factorization.)

Since m is the SMALLEST m with 2n divisors, then the primes dividing m are all consecutive primes starting with 2.

But m+1 is coprime to m. So its primes must differ from those dividing m, and therefore be larger than the largest prime dividing m.
Now, it is possible that the exponents in the prime-factorization of m+1 (which lead to the number of divisors of m+1 being 2n) would allow m+1 to be very close to m (one away from m, in fact), because the prime-factorization exponents of m+1 are smaller than those of m. But if that is so, then replacing the primes that divide m+1 with consecutive primes starting at 2, using the same prime-factorization exponents, would produce an integer <= m.

This is all unrigorous, of course. But I am tired and lazy. The makings of the start of a rigorous proof are here, hopefully.

Thanks,
Leroy Quet