d(m) = d(m+1) = 2n

Hugo van der Sanden human at google.com
Sat Aug 16 02:54:33 CEST 2008

I think the proof can be made quite rigorous: it is clear that the least m
with tau(m) = n must be composed of minimal primes. as you mentioned, so for
n > 1, m must be even. So we have m+1 odd, tau(m+1) = n, and m+1 is the
second smallest k with tau(k) = n. It follows (for n > 1) that m+1 = 3^x and
m = 2^x, satisfiable only by x=1.

It is of related but less vital interest to look at the sequence of t(n, 2)
- t(n, 1) where t(a, b) represents the b'th +ve integer with a factors, or
of successive minima in the sequence.

If my (hand-) calculations are correct, the first looks like [ 1, 5, 2, 65,
6, 665, 6, 64, 32, 58025, 12, ... ], not currently in OEIS. The second
probably looks like [ 1, 2, 6, 12, 48?, ... ], but constructing the
appropriate proof for each value is more work.

Hugo