[seqfan] Offsets of cons sequences

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Fri Aug 21 18:49:20 CEST 2009

The current policy in the OEIS is that for "cons" sequences, the offset
is the number of digits before the decimal point.

I have long thought that this is the wrong choice.  Instead, for a base
b sequence, the offset should be the negative of the power of b that is
multiplied by the first term of the sequence.  I.e., if the current
offset is j, the offset should instead be 1-j.

With this definition, each a(k) is multiplied by b^(-k) and the sum of
these is the number.  With the current definition, the k in a(k)
doesn't mean much of anything (for these sequences).

Do people agree that this would be better?  Is there some (relatively
easy) way to make the conversion -- perhaps as part of the Wiki
conversion?

Franklin T. Adams-Watters