[seqfan] Re: Meanwhile, something fringe...

William Keith wjk26 at drexel.edu
Sat Nov 21 22:04:36 CET 2009

I would argue strongly against the inclusion of sequences or number patterns from numerological sources.  The OEIS exists to bring at least some rigor to the human tendency to see patterns in short sequences; mystical and crank mathematics, Pythagorean not excepted, is nothing more than this pareidolia given the status of serious math.

Right now, OEIS word searches give:

"numerology": 5 hits, of which 3 are from a journal article title talking about heuristics for Monster, 1 from a book on Pythagoras, and only 1 of which is a short sequence originating in numerology.
"Kabbalah": two hits on quite trivial sequences, from the title of a book in which they appear.
"Astrology": 1 hit from the title of a Doron Zeilberger article with historical context.
"Bible": 1 hit, a count of the letters in the n-th word of the KJV.  Perhaps useful for puzzle-solving.

The last thing we need is for an academic reference to become polluted with random sequences giving false positives on searches after being uploaded because some crank thought they spelled out the name of next century's God.

William Keith