[seqfan] Re: OT: paper "Number representations and dragon curves"

Robert Munafo mrob27 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 11:24:47 CEST 2010

I believe the earliest reference on paperfolding any dragon curve would be
this Sci. Am. column from 1967:

Gardner, Martin. "The Dragon Curve and Other Problems (Mathematical Games)",
*Scientific American*, March, April, July, 1967.

(the 1978 book "Mathematical Magic Show", which is in my library, is merely
a reprint of this and other Sci. Am. columns. Note that "March 1967" would
be when Gardner first covered the topic and the later months, in this case
"April, July" are typically addenda with correspondence from readers.)

I offer the following quotes from the Wikipedia page, and its apparent
source, http://ecademy.agnesscott.edu/~lriddle/ifs/heighway/heighway.htm<http://ecademy.agnesscott.edu/%7Elriddle/ifs/heighway/heighway.htm>which
supplies a little more info.

*The Heighway dragon (also known as the Harter-Heighway dragon or the
Jurassic Park dragon) was first investigated by NASA physicists John
Heighway, Bruce Banks, and William Harter. It was described by Martin
Gardner in his Scientific American column Mathematical Games in 1967. Many
of its properties were first published by Chandler Davis and Donald Knuth.
It appeared on the section title pages of the Michael Crichton novel
Jurassic Park.
*- Wikipedia*
*

*Heighway's dragon was first investigated by physicists John Heighway, Bruce
Banks, and William Harter. It was described by Martin Gardner in his
Mathematical Games column of Scientific American where he stated that Harter
used the dragon as a cover design for a booklet prepared for a NASA seminar
on group theory. Many of its properties were first published by Chandler
Davis and Donald Knuth.
- *http://ecademy.agnesscott.edu/~lriddle/ifs/heighway/heighway.htm*

*
I spent a lot of time in high school and college making dragon curves out of
paper and making huge posters of it with a flatbed plotter. It's 2010 and we
still can't do that as easily as we could then (-:

- Robert

--
 Robert Munafo  --  mrob.com