[seqfan] Re: Shouldn't A158624 be hard and base?

Maximilian Hasler maximilian.hasler at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 16:03:44 CEST 2012

This is another instance which shows how weird the current indexing
convention for constants is. We have to write
"
The first digit of the backward value of 5^n is a(0) = 5 for all n.
The second digit is a(-1) = 2 for all n >= 2.
The third digit is a(-2) = 6 for all even n >= 4, etc.
"

If we had a more natural indexing scheme with increasing indices like e.g.

c = sum( i=offset..infinity, a(i)/10^i )

then we would have, in the above, a(1)=5, a(2)=2, a(3)=6, etc.

At present, adding the "cons" kw reverses the indexing, making b-files
invalid when they were conceived for increasing indices.
For example, since the 'all ones" sequence also is the expansion of
1/9, they are indexed
by 0,-1,-2,-3,..., cf http://oeis.org/A000012/list

Maximilian