[seqfan] Re: Higher dimensional analogues to plane division by ellipses?

allouche at math.jussieu.fr allouche at math.jussieu.fr
Sun Jun 2 18:54:40 CEST 2013

Hi,

It is that clear that the expression "metallic mean"
was coined in 1999?

I seem to remember having heard the expression
"metallic mean" before (i.e., some years after
the discovery of quasicrystals).

In particular I traced back a 1996 paper:
J. A. G. Roberts, Escaping orbits in trace maps,
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Volume 228, Issues 1?4, 15 June 1996, Pages 295--325
where the term "metallic mean" is used (see Page 298
just before (11)). In that paper "metallic-mean" sequences
are generated by the substitution rule (morphism of the
free monoid) a --> b, b --> b^{\ell} a, whose transition
matrix admits (1 + \sqrt{1+4\ell})/2 as dominant eigenvalue.

Other "metals" were used before, e.g., bronze in several
papers including
G. Gumbs and M. K. Ali, Scaling and eigenstates for a class of
one-dimensional quasiperiodic lattices, J. Phys. A: Math. Gen.
1988, 21 L517--L521.

I am not even sure that Roberts' paper is the first one where
the expression is used

best
jp