[seqfan] Re: Listing articles under links

M. F. Hasler oeis at hasler.fr
Mon Feb 17 13:58:54 CET 2014

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 6:32 PM, Neil Sloane <njasloane at gmail.com> wrote:

> Many very serious scientists (especially those with tenure)
> are giving on commercial journals and publishing only
> on servers like the arXiv.
>
> In any case I don't think it is possible or desirable
> to try to separate refereed articles from non-refereed ones.
>
> There are so many low-quality journals now that being published
> in a "refereed" journal means very little!

I agree completely!
(esp. about low quality papers in "peer reviewed" journals)

That's why I took care to write "typically with editorial board and/or
reviewing process" vs "typically, self-publication"
and I omitted on purpose to say "peer reviewed".

I think arxiv papers should well go into the 1st category (REFS),
maybe actually any publication in the "shape" of a scientific paper,
while the LINKS should be there for other material (web pages such as
blogs, forum posts, and supporting files including graphics, programs,...)

Retrospectively, the distinction I wanted to suggest was rather concerning
the form/contents, than the "quality".

Maximilian