[seqfan] Re: MathJax

Neil Sloane njasloane at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 18:03:31 CEST 2014

We've often talked about this subject in the past.
But the problems seem impossible to solve.

Besides MathJax, there are several other rival systems (MathML, say)
which all look good.

The 3 points to remember are:
1. Human-readable:  There should be a humanly-readable version of the
 mathematics
2. Searching:   It would be nice if there was a standardized way
of encoding the math. expressions so that  one can search the OEIS for them
3. Displaying in 2-D: It would be nice if the math. expressions were
displayed in the 2-dimensional display used in journals.

*So we would need 2 or 3 versions for each line of mathematics.*

1. is much more important than 2. or 3.

- because the OEIS is primarily text-based - that is, almost all the time,
a user is looking at linear strings.

I don't know that MathJax does a really good job of 3. There
are a lot of pages on the web that have 2-d math expressions embedded in
them,
but they always seem to be too big or too small
compared to the rest of the text.

Neil