[seqfan] Re: Smallest prime with a substring of exactly n zeros

Bob Selcoe rselcoe at entouchonline.net
Fri Feb 19 17:23:12 CET 2016

Hi Felix and Seqfans,

Interesting question - I imagine the answer is no.

There can only be at most 36 possible combinations of digits with completely
contiguous zeros and number of digits = n+2, ({1..9} for the first digit,
{1,3,7,9} for the last).  If those combinations are exhausted, then there
are only 36 possibilities for first digit 1 and the second-to-last digit
{1..9} with last digit {1,3,7,9} being prime for n+3 digits.  If those
combinations are exhausted, it would make possible many other combinations
without completely contiguous zeros.

So I would conjecture there are many (perhaps infinite) counterexamples as n
gets quite large.

Is someone with programming skills interested in finding the smallest such
counterexample (presuming it exists)?

Cheers,
Bob Selcoe