[seqfan] Re: Links to trottermath.net currently malicious - maybe we link to a clean copy?

Georg.Fischer georg.fischer at t-online.de
Fri Mar 30 14:40:02 CEST 2018

Dear seqfans,

http://www.trottermath.net was hacked between
26-May-2016 (archive.org still ok) and 18-Nov-2017.
Terry Trotter's own content may be accessed via the
Internet archive at
https://web.archive.org/web/20041209003827/http://www.trottermath.net:80/contents.html

Terry died in 2014 (see <https://oeis.org/wiki/User:Terrel_Trotter,_Jr.>)

After 2004, somebody else continued the site and moved it
to Wordpress. It seems that he abandoned that Wordpress
installation in 2011, and finally the site was hacked -
a common problem with Wordpress sites which are not updated.

I still managed to save the content of all subdirectories
of the current site starting at
http://www.trottermath.net/numthry
with the following Unix command:
   wget -mr http://www.trottermath.net/numthry/
   Total wall clock time: 5m 11s
   Downloaded: 1002 files, 25M in 34s (771 KB/s)

A mirroring from the Internet archive is a bit more difficult,
but possible too.

I do not think that the current site will ever by repaired,
therefore one remedy for the OEIS links would be to insert the
archive.org links to the 2004 version (I would go back to 2004, not to
2015/2016).

After the geocities' desaster I am personally not convinced that the
Internet archive will keep all old pages in the far future (for
example they may  throw something before the last valid capture).
I hope and think that the OEIS will be more stable.
Also, I think that Terry's contributions deserve a dignified
rest more close to their subject.

Therefore I propose that we copy all of Terry's pages
which are referenced by OEIS sequences, and that we store them
on the OEIS server.

I would volunteer to build that mirror directory structure,
test the internal links, and to pack all in a ZIP file which
could be unpacked on the OEIS server by an administrator.
Thereafter, the 31 references which are currently marked by
a warning note could be redirected to the mirrored pages
in a stable manner.
----
I agree with Hugo Pfoertner that this problem will continue.
For example, there are 22 sequences (A060570 etc.) with broken
references to a paper "M. Latapy, Tilings of Zonotopes".
I wrote to <Matthieu.Latapy at lip6.fr>, but I got no answer so far.

Best regards - Georg Fischer