[seqfan] Re: OEIS Frontend Redesign

Alexander Craggs oeis at femto.dev
Mon Jan 29 00:28:03 CET 2024

Google provides a series of guidelines for accessible website design.  They suggest:

- At least 60% of the text on a page is at least 12px in size[0]
- All tap targets are larger than 48px x 48px[1]

This is taken further by both the UK[2] and US[3] government, which both suggest a minimum font size of 16px.  We should keep in mind that whilst we might be able to read the 8 - 10px fonts used by OEIS, those with limited eyesight may not be able to.  A critical mathematical resource like the OEIS should absolutely be accessible to as many people as possible.

---

> I think there is a need for two frontends: one like the current one, which works for the submitter and editor, and one for the other users.

I really like this as a concept.  Expecting one level of abstraction of the information contained within the OEIS to work for all users is really unlikely given the huge range of skill sets that like using it.  Heck, I was 16 when I first rewrote the OEIS frontend 8 years ago:

https://github.com/popey456963/oeis-frontend

16 year old me didn't know anything about most of the sequences he was seeing.  He just enjoyed the webcam, slowly scrolling through random numbers!  That being said, multiple frontends does scale the amount of work it takes to maintain a service.  Perhaps a middle ground could be reached through the use of configuration, or hiding complex functionality behind 'advanced' tabs as suggested in a prior message in this thread.

Regards,
Alexander.

[0] https://developer.chrome.com/docs/lighthouse/seo/font-size
[1] https://developer.chrome.com/docs/lighthouse/seo/tap-targets