[seqfan] Re: A002961: sigma(n)=sigma(n+1).

franktaw at netscape.net franktaw at netscape.net
Tue Jan 5 21:22:48 CET 2010

I'm not sure where you got your 3*10^10 number (the b-file goes to
2*10^10).  However, any proper multiple of 6 has sigma(n) >2n, while
6k+|-1 is only divisible by primes 5 or larger.  Just this implies n
must be at least on the order of 5*10^9 (see A047802).  Since hits for
large numbers are going to be rare, and abundant numbers prime to 6 are
rare until n is quite large, I would not be ready to conjecture
non-existence until testing up to 10^50 or so.  This will of course
require something better than a brute-force search.

Franklin T. Adams-Watters