[seqfan] Re: Fwd: Re: Run Superseeker on existing sequence?

Martin Rubey martin.rubey at math.uni-hannover.de
Fri Aug 13 17:29:40 CEST 2010

Alexander P-sky <apovolot at gmail.com> writes:

> FYI - not sure if you are on Seq-Fan list ...

No, I'm not.  Thanks for forwarding.

> the problem is then to remove or include all the
> false positive, this is a tedious and time consuming
> task that Neil Sloane as the main contributor,
> at some point myself and now
> hundreds of people are trying to do.
>
> If you want to see what can be done with a version
> of the superseeker and all the known sequences
> , I made up this file :
> http://pictor.math.uqam.ca/~plouffe/OEIS/conjectures/OEIS_conjectured_formulas.txt
>
> there are 30000 formulas.

I think that these formulas *are* interesting, if the safety margin used
for guessing is large enough.  I'd like to add one thing: as far as I
know, gfun "only" looks in the rational, holonomic and algebraic spaces.
As experiments demonstrate, if a formula or relation "exists", chances
are good that it is of this type.  However, other relations do occur,
and I'd say that they are at least as interesting.  (I pointed to one
example in a previous post)

Ideally, there would be a tag "conjectured relations", that lists
conjectured recurrences, differential equations, functional equations,
etc.

Martin